under floor heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanicaldup

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2005
NA
I am designing a under floor heating system for the first time
Where Can I find design guides and info on this subject on the www?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

chicopee - Wood? All kinds of fuels can be used for this (or pretty much any other) type of heating system. The Romans used the heat of the combustion gases, directly in ducts in bath houses. Modern systems typically use pumped hot water or glycol for the heating of living spaces.

TBP- Yeah! wood, however this does not help mechanicaldup. If I were him, the first thing I would do is to surf the internet for the research.

Why would you assume he - or anybody - would be using wood as as the fuel for this type of heating system heating system? These systems lend themselves very nicely to natural gas fired boilers, that allow you to take full advantage of condensing the combustion gases. Note that a boiler specifically designed for condensing is required. Regular boilers will corrode to death in short order. Output water temperatures will be about 120*F max in these systems, and often less, if outdoor reset is used.

Try for books & info on these systems, along with conventional hot water and low pressure steam heating systems.

Wow... sounds like a electric meter will be spinning round and round. Why not go geothermal and run the loop pipes through the floor? C;osed loops run approx 80-90 degrees. plus if you use traditional ducting the heat punp sectonwoukd nake that total system really efficient. Supposedly Water Furnace says they are at 70 percent more efficient than regular heat pumps.
* but then I guess it all depends where you live too!*
Bubz

In some areas of the world you can buy off peak electricity at a discount, (usually at night). Done by fitting a sealed time switch to the unit.
Electric underfloor systems work very well as night storage systems. The only dis-advantage I have seen is that they tend to be about a day behind the weather.
This can be a nuisance if it is cold one day and hot the next.
B.E.

Look at Trox. They also have a sort of graphical/empirical method of calculating stratified loads. Check out also their passive & active chilled beam. You have to decide on either comming off at 60°F from your AHU. Or 55°F off your AHU to local recirculation units to blend the 55°F air to 60°F.

Some hints from my wife's cousin, who recently installed underfloor heating stapled to the subfloor:

Use lots of zones, and keep the zone control valves accessible.

[ My own suggestion; redundant zones, at least where you're casting the tube into concrete. ]

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I just just installed a "Sun-Tech" RAdiant electric floor system in my house in 3 locations. I'm very happy with it and I don't have to worry about leaks. The tstat has 4 different times a day of programming. I enable it in the morning and evening for a couple of hours. The electrical usage is fairly minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back