under-tolerance for plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.Beykaee

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2020
GB
hi
in sec 8 says that if the under-tolerance of the plate we use is under 0.01 in or 6 percent of plate thickness we should consider that in the thickness calculation.
so for example if i use a516 gr.70, from where i can know its under-tolerance for calculation? in other words, in which spec or standard the under-tolerance of the plates is available?
i search in astm a516 and it does not says about thickness under- tolerance of the plates.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

General items, like tolerances, are in A6 or A20 depending on the particular carbon steel.

In the case of A516, it references A20 in clause 2.1, so you'd find the thickness tolerances in A20 Table A1.1 or A2.1 depending on the unit system you are using.

thnks Geoff13
i saw a1.1 , but in note 1 it says that under-tolerance is 0.01 in and in the first row of the table , over tolerance is mentioned!?
if i mistake please clarify.

Per Table A1.1:
[ul]
[li]The under tolerance is always 0.01 inch.[/li]
[li]The over tolerance depends on the plate width and thickness.[/li]
[/ul]

Hi B.Beykaee
For plate under tolerance, we can use reference from UG-16(c) with smaller value of 0.3 mm or 6% of nominal thickness

Regards,

Tito F, YT Channel "FN Engineering"

For SA-516-70 under-tolerance shouldn't be an issue. 6% will be larger than .01" for all thickness above .125". So .01" is the maximum under-tolerance. As Geoff13 stated the under-tolerance is .01" per SA-20. Therefore SA-516-70 will meet the .01" requirement of UG-16(c) for anything over .125". Otherwise it cannot be SA-516-70. I have not seen any SA-516-70 manufactured under .1875" thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back