Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

under water elevations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

solomon612

Civil/Environmental
Jul 30, 2003
US
what is the most reliable and accurate method to survey the elevations of the top of the bottom of a river if sonar is not available?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This depends on the accuracy and sounding density requirements, the width, depth and current velocity of the water body. I have done a fair bit of river hydro-work with both single beam systems and sounding rods / chains. This sounds like a sounding chain problem. I would be more than willing to help with some more details about the river.

Thanks for the response. I will be providing more information soon. Putting out fires if you know what I mean.

Are soundings consistent with whatever spatial resolution you require?

Why is sonar ruled out?

TTFN

We've done a few base maps for bottoms of lakes and reservoirs using an EDM, shooting to a man in a float tube, holding a prism and a cloth tape with a weight on the end. The EDM and prism give the location, the tape and weight give the depth, which we subtract from the lake elevation to get bottom elevation. You could try this on your river if your site is small, but the water surface elevation may not be constant if your river site is large or has significant gradient. Also, bottom elevations of rivers are likely to change with river flows.

Are you trying to get a cross-section of the river or a profile of a centre-line of a stretch of river? Hummingbird sells portable fishfinders for under $200 that are suitable for this use. With one of these units all you need is method of horizontal and vertical control that can be supplied by conventional survey methods. What is the width and velocity of the river? Do you have any guess as to depth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back