Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Undercut: how to machine it with 3-axis mach. and barrel cutter ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

1cadcam

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2009
US
I am trying to do an undercut with a T-Cutter or a Barrel cutter. I looked at a similar thread in this forum, but was unable to get it to work.

The radius of the tool is slightly smaller than the radius in the geometry I am trying to cut (.003" smaller), and I am trying to just do something similar to a ZLEVEL PROFILE, but with an undercut.

Tried Fixed contour, Area milling, Surface and Boundary, but could not get the tool path to go into the undercut.

Below is a JPG of the geometry. The Green is the undercut, the Red is the cutter (tool axis=Z). The Green contour sweeps around in the X,Y directions. I also have an URL to a parasolid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS ALL !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version on NX?

You will use Fixed Contour to do what you're looking to do.

-Use the surface area drive method, pick the yellow surfaces as your drive selection.
Be sure the material is set correctly and the cut direction is right. set all other parameters as you like. i.e. stepover, cut step, etc.

-set you projection vector to "towards drive"

Generate and you should have something to start with.

engage moves will need to be tweaked to your liking.

NOTE: you do NOT need to choose a part. It is sometimes better not to have part geometry in your operation.

I included an NX5 file, if you can use it.

Good luck.

J

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9b579bb4-96aa-48ca-a9fe-e6b6c5f2cbdf&file=solid_id6_x_t.prt
Jaydenn,

I am using NX5 and NX6. Thank you for your help. I knew it should be simple, but I just wasn't getting it.

The part I was missing was the projection vector.....had it set to the Tool Axis, instead of Toward Drive.

Your file worked just right.

Thank you very much!

P.S.-This is a really great forum...I have picked up quite a few tips from you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back