Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Underground Hydrocarbon Storage Caverns

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimym

Chemical
May 5, 2003
US
What is the best method for determining the interface level between ethylene and brine within solution-mined underground storage caverns (salt caverns/wells)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used the TIP tool Temperature, interface (density), pressure. You can use temperature most of the time, but the density tool really points it out. We used the temperature to calculate density which was used to get an accounting inventory to verify the in out meters and make sure nothing had happened down hole. The pressure transitter was only used to verify the the hydrostatichead calculations. We used API denity subroutine to get the density from T&P.

In the past we have used a technique that is based on gamma ray transmission. The tool is passed in through the brine pipe and takes density measurements in relation to the bottom of the brine fill pipe. I know that Tracerco provide this service @ a number of sites in the UK.

thanks for the responses.

dcasto, are you saying you had temperature, density and pressure instrumentation downhole? Is this type of technology commonly available?

debenson78, can the gamma ray method be used on a well that is in service, or does it have to be temporarily isolated. We are in the habit of operating at near full conditons where the need of an accurate realtime interface level is required to prevent overfilling.

The technique I am talking about is service technique that Tracerco provide, the well is in service at the time of measurement. I think though that you are after permanently installed device if it is required to prevent overfilling?

Visit Tracerco's website full of good ideas techniques for process requirements / measurements

The tool was a TIP tool, the company that owned it was Sonar and Well Testing. French well service had some tools we used a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back