Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Understanding Projected Geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT330

Computer
Oct 28, 2009
US
Having trouble understanding the projected geometry feature. Working through a 2010 tutorial - End Cap Back - and get stuck at where I select the entities to "project". The instructions ask to "Slice Graphics" then to "project". Not having any luck with it and don't quite understand what is supposed to happen when I choose the "project" button.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you start a sketch you have to pick a plane/face,etc.. but its all a flat plane. Project geometry brings the outline of other geometry not on that flat plane to that plane to allow you to use it in your sketch.
All that should happen is the outline of this geometry will be displayed (I think its usually a green color) on your sketch plane.

Slice graphics is used when for example your sketch plane is in the middle of a part. Well now the features/faces,etc.. that are closer to your viewing area are essentially in the way and covering up that sketch plane. Slice graphics temporarily removes/hides objects/faces,etc.. closer to your view so you have a complete view of your sketch plane.

"If you have autoproject turned on (Default, but I don't recommend)"

I would recommend leaving this on.. Why would you not recommend leaving this option enabled?

By default Inventor will hide any unconsumed auto-projected geometry when the feature is created. Even if you turn the sketch visibility back on it will not be there unless you decide to edit the sketch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back