Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Underwater inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneintheeye

Structural
Nov 20, 2007
GB
what would you say is the recomended frequency for an underwater inspection of a harbour structure. The structure has cathodic protection. (steel tube piers).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would suggest that the first couple of inspections occur on a monthly basis, then a few on a three month basis and then a few semi-annually and then a few on an annual basis. If there is any change between reviews, then the frequency can be adjusted.

Dik

Is it in an area where scour is a concern, say an inlet, mouth of a river or has large tidal fluctuations? If not, dik's schedule may be a little agressive and your major concern over time will be the splash/tidal zone on the piles. It also depends some on the use, if it is hospital (unlikely) or warehouse etc.....

IC

its in a harbour. Not sure why you would put a hospital in a harbour :) That inspection regime does seem excessive to me, maybe? The risk to persons is relatively low (in terms of numbers at least) but economically would be a disaster for the client. Any thoughts on scour potential in a harbour?

I'm not sure where you are located, but in the US the norm is 5 year maximum interval. Check the publication "Specialized Underwater Waterfront Facilities Inspections," which is a US Navy publication NAVFAC MO-104.2. Google "NAVFAC MO-104.2" and it will lead you to a link to a free pdf download. On page 3 it recommends 6 years maximum intervals. The document also describes different "levels" of underwater inspections (Levels I, II, and III). Good luck.

For the boat we used to have, I had to change the zincs once a year, and they were usually pretty degraded by that time. It was in salt water 24/7.

For this application, depending on the size of the zincs used, if that is the mechanism for protection, I would start with every six months to get a record of degredation, and modify the time as needed once a history is developed.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back