Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Undo not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokahn

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2002
US
I'm running SW01+ SP0 and often find that undo is not available.
This is a major bummer.
Is this a frequent experience in SW01+ or do I just need to upgrade the SP?

Thanking you am I
rokahn1 at yahoo dut com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Same Question was asked on comp.cad.solidworks this weekend and here is my aswer to him as well as to you ;-)

The Undo feature goes back at least 10! If you have done that much, or if you have done any rebuilding (clicking the green light) while making changes then your changes or the Undo button doesn't show anything cause by clicking the Rebuild you are verifying that everything is fine. So SW erases your newest additions......So don't click the Rebuild Icon till your sure.

I don't necessarily think this is the right way to do it, but don't click it....I work like this all the time.

Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

The undo may go back 10 steps in sketch mode (where i rarely need it), but won't do anything for me when an edit has caused a major problem:
-edit a sketch in a component of an ass'y, causing mate and rebuild errors thru-out the model: No Undo
-suppress a mate with similar effects: No Undo

Is this a setting that can be changed, or a basic limitation of SWX (I'm running 2003 sp0)?

Very frustrating, because manually undoing the edit, i.e. return the dim that was changed in a sketch to its original value, doesn't fix the problem. I end up resorting to "power undo" (exit without saving, then re-open the assy).

Turn on your backups and do a save before attempting anything major or something you may suspect will screw it up. BBJT CSWP

How do you know what's going to be "major"? I've seen situations where just adding a part to an ass'y and mating it caused problems that deleting the mate wouldn't reverse: the only way out is exit w/o save. Not much work lost if you've saved, but re-loading can take a while. I guess for a "known" major edit, you could just copy the whole thing to another directory.

SoiledWorker

Normally I select preview when I'm performing a mate. This is very usefull when the assemblies are getting more complex. If something goes wrong (like overdefining or an unpredicted behaviour) I just select the red X (which is like doing an undo) and the assembly returns to previous state, or I can change the mate definition and preview it until I get what I want. If I have the intended result, I just proceed by selecting the green V. That's one more click in the process, but sometimes it's very usefull.

Regards

I've noticed that when editing a part with external references to other parts, it can be very easy to do something you didn't want to do. For instance, I edited the width of a plate (by editing the dimensional value) and the hole pattern on another part which referenced the part I was editing went all out of whack.

The undo button wasn't even highlighted to select. Also, manually going back and changing the dimension to the original value didn't correct the error.

I had to exit the program without saving to return to the original state. My department has found this practice invaluable and refers to it as "Power-undo".

While we are on the subject, has anyone ever seen the "Redo" button highlighted for selection? I haven't.

I think SolidWorks techs should rent a copy of Inventor to see how a real Undo button works.

Everybody here wants it.... why are they opposed to providing something that works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back