Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Undo Threshold? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAMIS

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2000
US
Has anyone ever had their "undo" stop working altogether?
A co-worker just ran into that issue. I think he got an error message stating something like "too many entities". I watched him and basic things like deleting a line in a sketch can not be undone. Is there a limit to the number of entities you can have in a sketch where undo just quits? He deleted a a large portion of the sketch and still couldn't undo. We can't figure out how to restore that functionality on that file.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Is there a limit to the number of entities you can have in a sketch where undo just quits?"

Yes. Unfortunately it's a limitation of the memory cache. There's only so much "short term memory" you can give something or you risk taking something away from another function.

I don't know what the limit is, but I'm sure it's over 10. If you're having to hit "undo" that many times, you might consider "select all" and "delete" instead, then start over. lol

If guns kill people, cars drive drunk.

It is important to note here that this "undo" limitation isn't just in SolidWorks. Excel, word, etc. all have the same limitation. Go ahead, try it. You'll see!

And, as an observation I've made, the undo threashold in ProE is significantly lower than in SolidWorks. Good luck undoing or redoing anything in ProE using the standard undo or redo approach. lol

If guns kill people, cars drive drunk.

I didn't mean a limitation on how many steps back you can go. I meant that he can't undo AT ALL because he has too many entities in the sketch.

I can't tonight. Just about quitting time. I couldn't believe it myself until I saw it. I thought maybe he was confused by the things that should be undoable but aren't. But I watched him delete lines in the sketch and the undo and redo under the edit menu stayed grayed out. Guess we'll try again Monday. Thanks for replying.

When you have a lot of entities in a sketch, (happens a lot when copying a .dwg into SolidWorks) SolidWorks turns off auto-solve and undo. Usually it has a box that pops up when this occurs.

You should be able to turn it back on by going to Tools>Sketch Settings>Automatic Solve

You may have to keep resetting it. I think the only way to really deal with it is to have smaller sketches.

I mentioned that solution to him and he said he had tried it. Maybe, like you said, it has to be reset repeatedly and so that was why he said it wouldn't work. I suggested to him to make some sections of the sketch into sketch blocks to reduce the entity count and number of conditions to solve. I'll have to check back to see if that helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back