Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unexpected file format in SW06

Status
Not open for further replies.

rysep

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2002
US
We just upgraded from SW 2001+ to SW06 SP4.0 and we are having trouble opening some of the older files. Some files open fine with no problems whatsoever. While other files any with a cut thread will not open. I keep getting an unexpected file format message. I sent some of these files to our local rep and he opened them no problem. So I tried installing SW06 on a new machine that has never run SW with the same exact issues. Is there a setting or something that I may be missing? Or anyone have any ideas of what could be going on?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you converted the files to SW06 version before trying to open them in SW06?
Are you opening the file locally or across a network?
Did you disable the Anti-virus before installing SW06?

What are your system specs? If you have not upgraded your computer since SW01, the chances are that you are underpowered to run SW06.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

I can't convert the files either. The conversion wizard won't convert the files it says it cannot open those files. I installed SW06 as administrator with Anti-virus disabled. The computer isn't blazing but should be fine. 2.4 P4 Processor 1GB RAM and Nvidia Quadro 750 graphics with the latest approved driver from SW compatable with 06. The files I am trying to open are not all that large or complex either.

I just had my VAR send some files back to me that I sent to him yesterday. He saved them in 2006 and I got the same error message. Unexpected file format.

If there is only the "Default" configuration in the parts, try renaming the "Default" config and creating a new "Default" config. We had the same problem when we upgraded to SW06. It was supposedly taken care of a few service packs ago, we have not seen this issue anymore.

SolidWorks 2006 SP3.1
Intel Xeon 2.8GHz 2GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX3000

The problem appears to be in the ".5" config.

The default opened no problem in SW05, but crashed SW when I tried to change to the .5 config.

[cheers]

I tried opening that and got the same error message. We do need a full helix thread because we use SW for graphic design as much as engineering.

The same error came up. Its something to do with a spiral becuse we have the same problem with springs. I also took this same part in 2001 and deleted the sketches as well and it opend no problem.

Sounds like you will have to reproduce those parts with helices. As I said before, I suggest you use Solid Mech 4. It is a fairly big download at 130MB but is free. I created most of my library parts using it & its predecessors.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back