Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UNF Thread Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

SORJM

Computer
Apr 5, 2016
IN
I wanted to create a bolt and nut on the basis of following thread profile available at wikipedia. I have a little bit of confusion so I though I should take help from experienced people present here. As I can understand from the following image for internal and external are same that would be used to cut threads on bolt and nut both.
640px-ISO_and_UTS_Thread_Dimensions.svg_rlx2qj.png

Or different profiles should be used for nut and bolt please suggest.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The profiles must be the same, else you will either not be able to screw them together, Or, there will not be a good fit, and then the connection is weak, Not as strong as intended.
But, the screw is slightly smaller than the hole. Else again you will not be able to fit them together.

/ Tomas

Thanks for the reply. I think an another thread profile available in the mechanical engineering handbook will be more suitable because it has described internal and external in separate way. When I would complete it post it here... [glasses]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back