Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Unfolder failure: location of problem bend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicG

Aerospace
Sep 23, 2004
US
For starters, I'm using Inv V11, SP2.

I just got this message when attempting to unfold (what I thought was) a rather simple sheet metal part (I have attached a screen shot).

It says that it "..could not spilt between and plate. Please check if there is a relief gap so bend can be deformed."

How do I know where the relief gap should be? I'd expect that the program would highlight the problem area so I could increase or add a relief gap. How do you know WHICH bend is the problem.

All I did was make a face, then establish a work plane and mirror the face about it. Then I added a flange to one face and "joined" the two faces with a bend. For each feature I just used the defaults and it seemed to work out just fine. That is until it came time to flatten. Did I make a huge mistake in my sheet metal modeling technique? Should I have built this piece in another way?

Thanks,
D. Greco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While waiting for an answer I found the problem. I found a face that was totally removed by a cut, then re-inserted (a very bad practice). Once I removed it and corrected the effected features, the flat pattern function worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back