Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Uni-Flange Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJH2161

Civil/Environmental
May 15, 2020
US
I am currently working on a project where we are replacing some old piping and valves inside of one of our booster stations. The lengths of the spool pieces that need to be installed will need to be field-verified prior to installing. Because of this I called for FL x PE pipe so the Contractor could field cut the spool pieces to the exact length he needs and use uni-flanges to connect pipes to fittings. The contractor reviewed the plans and asked if they could use Fl x Fl pipe and just install filler flanges to fill the gap between the ends of the pipe and fittings because he does not feel comfortable using uni-flanges. I don't have a problem with this, but I was curious if anyone has had issues with uni-flanges in the past that would make them hesitant to use them in this application. Highest pressures at the booster station are about 90 psi. Appreciate any feedback.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Uniflanges are ideal for this sort of application. Generally though you should only use one uniflange per spool piece unless each flange you are bolting to is well supporrted against any type of movement. Uniflanges only have limited capacity to restrain the system against movement especially longditudinally.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Agree, no problems, BUT within mechanical and strength limits forces allowable. Correct clamping/support of the pipeline is essential. Mechanical forces by temperature and mechanical variations checked. Prefabricated dismantling pieces, lockable or not lockable could be an alternative.

IMO, depending on the location in the "booster station", it may be an issue for the uni-flanged spool if it's near the pump suction or discharge connection without proper supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back