Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unigraphics API

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacchus

Computer
Oct 4, 2002
US
Is there an API in Unigraphics that can be used to automate design like in SolidWorks ... If so what are the conditions of its use ... As in, does my company have to get a special license from Unigraphics to sell Unigraphics API based code to customers who own a seat of Unigraphics. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, there is an API, it is C or C++ based.
The cutsomer who buys the code will have to have a UG/Open API execute license.
You will need both execute and development licenses. Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand
717-532-9181
ben_loosli@irco.com

"If you have to ask the cost, you can't afford it."

I think the UG/Open API is $10K for development and execute licenses.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

You are exactly right, I cannot afford it, but my company can (I hope hehe). My boss just wanted me to look into aproximately what it would cost to do a #%@$! load of new things not possible with our pretty basic license. Thanks for the help.

I think UG is going to eventually lose repect and market share by charging for things that other software like Solidworks, Solidedge, and Inventor include for free with the base software.

Jason Capriotti
Smith & Nephew, Inc.

I hardly think that GM, Boeing, Ford or Chrysler are going to be migrating their entire PDM & Design software from CATIA & UG to mid-range CAD systems that may offer some nice features over what is already proven as outstanding modelers (particularly in Class A surfacing & the machining areas). Maybe in smaller companies, but not in the industrial giants like the ones listed above. That is like saying Yugo is going to one day replace GM or Ford...it just isn't going to happen.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back