Unigraphics NX vs. SolidWorks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPM73

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2007
US
Hi CAD Users,

I'm trying to figure out the current CAD or job trends between Unigraphics NX and SolidWorks, such as, but not limited to:

1) Job Comparison of companies seeking candidates with UG
or SolidWorks experience

2) Average cost differeences between the 2 CAD applications

3) Any current CAD trends

It would be nice to see this graphically & broken down regionally, but whatever data can be provided would be great.

Does anyone have this or can direct me to it?

Thanks

Jason M.
Unigraphics NX & SolidWorks Designer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just did some experiments w/ equation-driven curve (just got SW2009 a few weeks ago). Sin & cos curves accurate to 8 places. Finally! One less thing on the list of what SW should have accomplished a decade ago.

In response to the original question, here is something I came across awhile back that may be somewhat related to 3 (CAD trends):
You might also be interested in the Cyon Research white papers titled:
"The Value-Proposition of High-End Mechanical CAD" 2003
and
"A Fresh Look at the Value Proposition of High-End Mechincal CAD" 2007

The 2nd paper listed has pricing information (at the time). Keep in mind however that many customers of the "Specialized CAD" (NX, Catia) get bundled deals and pay significantly less per seat than the list prices. The same could apply to the Mainstream CAD.

As far as NX vs SW. They are both great. I would hope that NX is not going away (consider where the SW modeling kernel is licensed from). And I like the fact that SW and the other mainstream CAD is driving the specialized CAD vendors to try and stay ahead in product functionality and reduced pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back