Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unigraphics training 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul0000

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2011
GB
Recently i've been thinking of doing a course in Unigraphics in order to get a job and hopefully career in it.

I'm only 20, but am coming to the end of my foundation degree in manufacturing engineering and have spent the last 5 years using Auto CAD and i've done a couple of modules in Autodesk Inventor. I'm told Inventor is rarely used in the industry now and Unigraphics NX is overtaking it, i've looked into getting jobs in it and it seems like my kind of thing and there seems plenty about.

My problem has been training. I can't seem to find anywhere that i can get on a course or receive any sort of training for Unigraphics in the UK. The other problem is, with the courses i have found (in the USA) they have been very specific, e.g. you learn a single version of NX (NX4, NX7.5...).

So, do you know anywhere in the UK (preferably midlands) i can get training?
And which version is most used in industry/which version should i get training in?

Thanks a lot for any help, would be greatly appreciated, i want to find a course as soon as possible, which i can hopefully take after i've finished the final year of my foundation degree.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can get NX training on line from several sources is one. I am supprised the Siemens office does not have training classes availble.

You should focus on the latest releases 7.5 or 6

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6.0.5.3

CAMBERLEY
Siemens PLM Software
3 Knoll Road
Camberley
Surrey GU15 3SY
Tel: 01276 702000
Fax: 01276 702100
uk.plm@siemens.com

Tod (1d) Briggs
Manufacturing Solutions Architect
Siemens PLM Software
Detroit, MI

An admirable approach to pursuing your career Paul.

Being a student you may find formal training fairly costly, but if it gets you a job then ultimately it'll be the best value for money you've spent.
I would suggest that for some engineers the most beneficial way of learning a 'tool' is to use it 'on the job'.
If you can find a local company using NX, you might ask them if you could do some summer work experience in return for some on-the-job training. If you show some initiative it might even be a good foot in the door.
If "the midlands" includes Cheltenham or Wotton-Under-Edge I could offer you some contacts.

Well, Cheltenham is roughly 100 miles away from where i live, that's not the sort of mileage i can afford to be doing right now i'm afraid, but i guess any contact is a good thing. Like you said, if it gets me a decent career in something i want then it's worth the extra effort.

As for using it on the job. I live about 2 miles away from the JCB world headquarters and not far from about 4 other JCB sites, and i happen to know that they use this software, so i'm very tempted to ring them and ask if they'd sponsor me for training on the job. I don't know if that's a little bit cheeky though.

Thanks joycejo, i'll keep that in mind, i figured the latest would probably be most advantageous. The thing that made me wonder is that i have a friend who works at JCB, who i've been talking to about this and he's told me that they use NX4, which i know is pretty old.

I've looked at that link and the training prices seem very reasonable, i thought i'd have to spend more than that. My only concern is that all of the prices are in dollars, so is this american? I think i will contact them and esquire about it, thanks very much for the link.

Hi Paul

I'm the group CAD manager for JCB based at Rocester. We are currently on NX4 but we have just started a £2.5m project to upgrade to NX7.5 and TC 8.3 When we take people on here, we don't demand that they have NX experience, just experience in 3D CAD of some description. I have trained lots of people who have come from Inventor/Solid Works/Solid Edge backgrounds and they pick NX up very quickly in the 5 days that the course runs. It's people that come from just AutoCAD 2D or with no real CAD experience at all that struggle the most. If you need to know any more, then let me know.

We have been taking on lots of design engineers recently and have something called and engineer resource pool where young graduates come and gain experience in all areas of the busniess before eventually being placed in a suitable BU. You try and send your CV in.

Good luck!!!

Best regards

Simon NX4.0.4.2 MP10 - TCEng 9.1.3.6.c - (NX7.5 native)

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times when it's taken away...

BTW...

You will find that training courses for NX in UK are few and far between and damn expensive if you are funding it for yourself. especially for new users of NX7.5 the reason being is that most companies (such as us) run all their training internally and also because we have been using UG/NX for years, we only run upgrade training for 2 days for all our existing engineers. Once that is complete we run 5 day new users courses internally so we can customise the training to suit the way we use it rather than the generic one size fits all training that Siemens provide. This also works out far cheaper Siemens training is £1000's per week. Other companies that use NX are Rolls Royce in Derby, Dyson vacuum cleaners, Williams F1, Redbull F1, AWE to name a few, but it is rapidly becoming the number 1 industry solution. Nissan now use it (inc A surface) Daimler have just dumped Catia for it, VW are likely to take it and I wouldn't bet on BMW and Merc taking it on.

Best regards

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of times when it's taken away...

Thanks a lot Simon.

I've done the basics with Solidworks and am planning on doing a full course in it starting mid Feb, i wasn't sure if this was going to be a waste of time, but i'll definitely go ahead with it now. Would this be enough experience? I would also be using it a small amount at work and practicing at home, currently at work i use 2D CAD only.

I have discovered that courses are really difficult to find and when you do, collectively, they cost more than i can afford (not to mention the cost of the package) so this could be the perfect opportunity.

I will definitely look at sending my CV in.

How often are these courses held?
And i assume that you only get on the course if you have a job at JCB, or is it something i can pay to do?
Thanks again for any response.

Paul

We are just about to run a massive recruitment campaign as we require an additional 80 engineers 50 of which will be CAD users, so there has never been a better time to send in your CV. We will be recruiting in the Engineer magazine towards the end of Feb. We do only run the courses for employees BTW.

Best regards

I would love to send my CV in, but like i said right now i am in the middle of the final year of my foundation degree at my current company, so i will have to wait at least until then to apply. Will this still be happening in June sort of time?

Paul000,

Here's a link to a brilliant free book by Dr. Ming Leu from the Uni of Missouri. (send Dr. Leu a thankyou message)

Books are in .pdf format

There's the NX5 edition (NX5 for Engineering Design), and there's also the new NX7 edition (NX7 for Engineering Design), actually uses NX7.5.

If your using NX6, there's an update for the NX5 book, here's the link to that (there is also some other stuff, which may be useful).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back