Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Unique video card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tluxon

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2001
US
I use an nVidia Quadro FX 500 at work and since none of our assemblies have more than 200-300 parts, it has worked very well.

At home I have a home PC that I do fairly light SolidWorks on, but there is an occasional need to bring up full assemblies. The thing is, this PC is used primarily for heavy video capture and editing. I'd like to improve on the ATI AIW 9600 Pro that I use for its TV Tuner and capturing ability by getting separate cards, and since I've been into HDTV since early 2001 I'm looking seriously at the ATI HDTV Wonder. I'd really like to get a Quadro FX 500, but ATI and everyone who's tried says you can't run the HDTV Wonder with an nVidia graphics card, no way no how.

This almost seems like an oil-and-water question (like gaming and modeling) but can anyone recommend an alternative solution that would be at a similar price point?

Thanks!

Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bradley wrote:
At home try turning Open GL on or off to see if that helps.

With what card? I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a functional alternative to the nVidia Quadro FX 500 that might be more compatible with the HDTV Wonder.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,
With the card you have installed right now. Once in awhile, just maybe OK to run CAD on your HDTV card. It is a free test.

Bradley

I'm pretty sure there are no video cards that serve as a primary graphics card AND that does HDTV.

Just to rephrase since I'm not always as clear as I think I am :) :

What I want to do is replace my ATI All-in-Wonder 9600 Pro Radeon (which is a graphics card, a capture card, and a TV tuner card, all in the AGP slot) with a CAD card (dedicated graphics-only card to go in the AGP slot) AND a separate TV tuner/capture card (PCI slot). I just happen to be interested in the HDTV Wonder which is incompatible with the nVidia Quadro FX 500 (some kind of driver resource issue), so I'm hoping for alternatives to the FX 500 that just might coexist with the HDTV Wonder in the same system.

Anyone else do this?

How about just recommendations of other cards that are pretty similar to the FX 500?

Thanks!

Oh, wait! - I think I get it. Bradley, I believe you're suggesting that I continue try using my current card with the HDTV Wonder. Hmmm - that's an idea I hadn't even thought of. I just naturally assumed that I could do a lot better than the card I have right now for SolidWorks, but in all honesty, it seems to do alright with SolidWorks using the hardware OpenGL. It's just not quite as smooth as the FX 500, but maybe I could live with it.

I'll probably give that a try before springing for another card. Thanks,

Tim

What's your current non-TV card? That might kill you with the severe performance bugs, depending on the specific card.

I used a Sony VAIO laptop for a while and it did OK if only one or two parts were open at one time. Past that (like in any assembly), forget it. No good.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

Also, you could try and install the modified drivers for the 9600 card that should make it a firegl card...

I would recommend a separate Windows installation, preferably on a separate partition or disk. On this installation, you should have solidworks, and use the modified drivers for fireGl capabilities on this installation only.

For info on how to Softmod your radeon card,

or do a search for firegl softmod, and rivatuner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back