Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unix files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
To the best of my knowlage, UNIX and PC based files are not binary compatible. You can unzip them, but Catia PC version will not (as far as I know) be able to read them.

Best regards

If there is a problem - generally the name of the file, funny characters or length of name. I read our V4 models on my PC. I know that you can unzip a unix compress file on a pc as well. Our server is AIX, scripts are ran to compress certain types of files > a certain date.
To my understanding a CATPart can be read by all platforms of the same Catia version.

Regards,
Derek

Hi,

CATParts can be read in both senses without any problem.

You can have problems only with some characters which are inserted in the name of the files when you save them (under UNIX).

Derek is right, just delete those strange characters...

Regards
Fernando

Thanks,

We have succeeded in unzipping the gzip-files. Apparently it were Export-files of Catia v4. We have been able to open those *.exp-files with "Tools > Utility > ExtractModelFromSequential..."
On this way we have obtained a MODEL, with Assemblys and Parts in several Tabs. The Model contains also a TAB with Drafts. But at opening we get a report:
DRAWING WARNING:
No internal or External PRJ file
No Visualisation of texts and dimensions.
Please inform the V4 Project File path in Tools/Options.

After clicking OK, we get a Drawing with an empty Titleblock and no dimensions.

In the Options we have to browse to a certain path for the "V4 Project File path". But we haven't a clue, which one to choose.
Has anyone a suggestion?

Regards
Koen and Gregory

You need to talk to the supplier of that document and get a copy of their V4 "Project File".

CATIA V4 saved information such as Fonts, Dimension Styles, Hatching Styles, etc in an external file from the geometry. While your V4 Models may contain the pointers and contents of the text and dimensions, it is looking for that external file to define the appearance of the text and dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back