Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unloader valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

charland

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2006
I am designing what can best be described as a carwash system. There is a high pressure pressure pump (positive displacement, piston) and a variety of things feeding off the pump (spray bars, spray wands) and there is no way of knowing what the volumetric requirement would be depending on what is being used and what is turned off.

I think the systems I'm looking at use an unloader valve to allow any unused volume to flow back to the inlet of the pump. This confuses me because I thought an unloader valve opened up completely once the pressure setting had been met and therefore pressure to the other spray wands would be lost. I need something that will safely bleed off any extra volume while maintaining my set pressure.

any clarification on the operation of an unloader valve would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Charlie Harland

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, so if I have a 4gpm pump at 1000 psi, can I use 2 gpm at 1000 psi and have the other 2 gpm going through the bypass circuit? Or will I lose all pressure once the unloader valve opens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back