Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unrealistic Displacements in Frequency Studies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tluxon

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2001
US
I'm doing frequency studies on a mass cantilevered/suspended by spring metal strips. I've been getting what appear to be reasonable frequency results, but grossly unrealistic URES Displacement values.

To do a sanity check, I've got a 4" long x 1" wide x 1/4" thick beam fixed to a vertical wall with a 2" cubic mass (approx. 2 pounds if steel material) merged off the free end of it. I've fixed the beam where the wall attachment would be and added a simple gravity load. When running a frequency study, the mode of interest is at about 59 Hz but is showing a resultant displacement of almost 5 inches.

I'm not familiar with this kind of result as my prior experience with frequency studies didn't reveal such unrealistic displacements. Can someone please explain this?

Thank you!
Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The displacements are characterstic displacements and have no real meaning. You'd need to apply some excitation force or diplacement in order to calculate real values.

Tata

Just to complete what Corus've said.

No matter which software you're using in MODAL STUDIES (FREQUENCY), the results are:
- When the models reachs its natural ressonance;
- How it would behave in ressonance;

So we have:
- WHEN: is the frequency (in rad/sec or Hz) resulta
- HOW: is the deformed plot

All other values are merely qualitative.

Best regards,
Eduardo

As Eduardo says..

The HOW is very usefull, use the displacement-result and let it animate, you'll see in which directions you can make your design stiffer..

So why is a displacement of 5 inches given to a beam that is only 4 inches long? Is it supposed to represent some kind of percentage or proportion of that particular direction in relationi to all the various reactions? If the 5 inches is meaningless, why isn't some unit of measurement other than inches used?

The displacement results are proportional across the mdoel, so that can be useful. But as previously mentioned, there is no true response (absolute displacement) being calculated in that study.

If you want actual displacement, you'll need to run a linear dynamic study type.

This is a beginners error. Modal displacements are always scaled to make the shape visible. To find the real displacement at a particular frequency you have to run a frequency analysis which will show the actual displacement and stress. A modal analysis yields eigenfrequencies, eigenvalues and eigenmodes. The eigenvalues are not displacements.

If you think about a modal analysis it is impossible to give real displacements because there is no load specified for the run.

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back