Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unreinforced concrete design allowed in ACI 350? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRivard

Structural
Mar 23, 2006
US
Hello all!

I have a question that has been posed to me by a septic tank precaster: Is it permissible to design a septic tank as unreinforced concrete? I don't have a copy of ACI 350 on hand, so I couldn't answer his question as to whether unreinforced design is allowed or not.

Does anybody have an answer to this?

Regards,
Steve Rivard

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That section (on plain concrete) has been deleted from ACI 350. I'm thinking it's not a good idea to use unreinforced concrete in liquid containing structures.

Jed,
I couldn't agree more with you. The only liquid tanks that I ever designed were always reinforced to preclude tank cracking and leaking. So, while I personally didn't think it was a good plan, if the code were to allow it, it becomes an entirely different answer to the precaster.

In any event, thanks for the information!

Regards,
Steve Rivard

I have a copy of ACI-350 and it doesn't address plain concrete. Chapter 22 is just one paragraph clearly saying that "structural plain conc is not permitted in environmental engineering conc structures"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back