Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unsatisfactory Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

shearstrength

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2001
CA
Currently using SolidWorks 2001 Plus;

I have created a drawing from a sub-assembly that is made up of other sub-assemblies. I currently have 3 sheets tagged to this drawing, and the file is about 4Megs big. It takes 5 minutes to load and display the first sheet. When I switch from one sheet to another, it takes another 5 minutes to update and redisplay the other sheet. I currently have reduced or turned off any settings that might slow down the system.

I can't understand why this is happening. I've tried saving to both the local hard disk and to the server, the performance is the same.

I'm currently working on a system that has a CPU speed of 550Mhz, 512 Megs RAM, 8 Gbs of hard disk capacity, and an "ELSA" video card. I've tried loading the same file on a 1.5 Ghz machine with 1 Gigs of RAM and still the same performance.

I've tried resetting the virtual memory several times, defragging the file and still the same performance. The system is just not productive at this stage.

Can anyone guide me to resolve this problem?

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have to ask if your assy has any springs? I know springs are a big killer. What operating system are you using? "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

Do you have virus software running? If so, I can almost guarantee it is doubling (at least) the time required to perform tasks. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Yes, I do have springs, but not in the current drawing file that I am working with.
I don't understand, the main file takes less time to save than this drawing file.

The operating system is Windows NT version 4.0, as well as on the server.

Yes, I do have a virus software running.

Thanks for the response, greatly appreciated!

Shear,

The current file that is in the drawing does have springs in it, but they are not being viewed in the present drawing?

This is the way I am understand your reply.

If this is true, then even though you can't see the springs it is still rebuilding them. So my suggestion to you is make a config in your main Modelling file (Ex: Front Drawing View) and suppress all the items that you are not going to need when you are representing that view in the drawing. Do this for all of your views if possible.

This would even work if you didn't have springs in the file and it should help system performance.

Most Large SW drawings for a long as I can remember can be slow at opening and saving, but it mainly depends on complexity of your model.

Do you have a DT (Design Table) in you model? I have found (again) depending on complexity of the DT, that a DT can cause slow downs throughout an assembly and a drawing.

Your saying it takes you 5 minutes to load and display your file, that is good if you compare it to the one I used to work on at a previous job of mine. It took over 30 minutes to open and or save. It was a gearbox assembly with true Involutes gears. So 5 Minutes isn't that bad ;-)

I hope that helps, Scott Baugh, CSWP :)
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back