Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unusual rwd by honda - diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.
That reminds me of some very old trucks. So old in fact that they also had solid rubber tires if I recall.

It was very common on big trucks early on and some brands kept making them up into the mid 50's. The differential was in the same spot or higher on the frame. Very strong and reliable. Most had sprockets that bolted to the brake drums. For tandem axles setups, many used another chain on each side that went from the front duals to the rear. There were also conversion kits to change from what we think of as conventional, over to the chain drive.

I recall the very ingenious Mr Colin Chapman once did that on one of his race cars to get around rules which said something like "original live rear axle must be retained".

I wonder what the srutineers actually said, hehehe ?

I don't know what Hummers use, but Unimogs definitely don't have chains. The axles are 'portal' type with a planetary reduction gear in each hub and the half-shaft located above the wheel centreline.

ZR

I drove one of the little Honda S600's about 40 years ago. Fun little car. My first street RHD and the first car that had a ~10,000 rpm redline. Don't recall any problems relating to the chain drive, though, aside the lack of a space in the boot (final drive took up a lot of space aft of the seats). It sure sounded great driving (errr, zooming?) around Mulholland Dr. and the streets of Encino in the dark!

Rod

Searching eBay using Honda S600 gets 3 cars and some manuals for sale currently.

Interestingly the S 600 had chain drive but the later more powerful (relatively speaking that is) S800 used a standard shaft arrangement.

I too can remenber driving one many years ago and marvelling at the quality of engineering.It was truly a jewel of an engine and was about the most fun you could have at street speeds and remain legal.

Pete.

Pete, the S 600 I drove was, I think, a 64 model. I have seen quite a few S 800's in the late 60's and early 70's that were used extensively in the SCCA D/SR class. That's back when many, if not most, of the small sports racers were still engineered and built by individuals in their "garages"...great little engines and, led the way until the two cycle motorcycle engines began to rule. Haven't seen one in a lotta years.

Oh yeah, the one on E Bay is in NZ and is really low mileage and CHEAP...if I was anywhere close, I'd own it!

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back