Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Custom Properties in PDM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreaq

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2005
CA
Hey folks,

I would like to update (and add) some custom properties for all my files in the vault, by means of the Task Scheduler. The snag I see is, what directory do I specify for the Task Scheduler? Do I select the directory where the valut resides (even though the contents don't have the correct extensions)? and will this update all revisions of the parts?

thanks in advance,

phreaq
Has anyone seen my brain today? (^_^)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Phreaq,

I think what you may be looking for is found in the PDMWorks Admin. However adding a custom property will not bump the revision of each document in the vault. See the quote below for further description.

SolidWorks Help said:
On the VaultAdmin Properties tab, add, modify, delete, or map properties that appear in PDMWorks document information and reports. Users can also search by properties. The properties apply to all projects and documents in the Vault.

Standard properties are Author, Number, Revision, Project, Description, and Status. You cannot edit Author, Project, or Status.

To add a property, click New Property, type a name in the dialog box, then click OK.

To modify a property, select the property, click Modify, edit the name in the dialog box, then click OK.

To delete a property, select the property, click Delete, then click OK to confirm.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.
Solidworks 2006 SP4.0

Thanks Jon!

Seems I'm almost there..... almost. Your method will add a property to a SW file, but it doesn't seem to actually assign a value to the property.

Without getting into my specific details, I want to add a property called "type" with a value of "1" for assemblies, and "2" for parts (as an example).

phreaq

Ummm, if you example is what you intend to do, SW already has that function built in. I don't think this is a PDMWorks task (beyond the set up mentioned in JK's message above). In fact, if your example is what you are trying to do, this isn't even an API function. Simple create your property in our template and give it the value you want it to have within the template. That value will carry forward to any files you create from it.

Hey fcsuper,

you're right, I can (and will) add these properties to my templates, but that doesn't help the 1000s of parts and assemblies I already have in the vault that need the property added with the values.

phreaq

Phreaq,

You may want to check out this macro I found. It should help you in applying the correct properties to the files. You will however have to have the files in your local working directory before using it. This means you will have to check out the 1000+ files from PDMWorks. If anyone else has a better solution please re-post.

Find it here: Rhapsody Design Solutions

Download the "Batch Parameter Creator" macro.

Best Regards,
Jon

Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.
Solidworks 2006 SP4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back