Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Hydraulic Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

niibii

Civil/Environmental
Oct 18, 2006
US
I have been tasked to update my company's hydraulic model developed by a consultant 2-3 years ago. does anyone know what softwares I will need to make this happen. All I have righ now is WaterCAD and Atlas GIS (we use in maintaining our system maps).

I would appreciate any suggestions or remaks on how or where to start.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

but what are you modeling? and are you sure you can't use Watercad? If you don't plan to use Watercad, you could use EPANET, it's free. regarding suggestions or where to start - if you are not familiar with water system hydraulic modeling than maybe you should hire another consultant? Otherwise if you have plenty of time and budget, you could eventually teach yourself how to do it, maybe.

Updating water model with new mains and demands cvg. I have used EPANET and WaterCAD.I plan on using WaterCAD. I have used WaterCAD in modeling smaller water systems not updating a bigger Water Model with 12,000 miles of waterlines. Does this help? Thanks anyway.

Unless you have big problems with your consultants model, I would use it and the same software for the update. Changing to a new software would be a lot of work.

I have done several models, each with over a 1,000 miles of watermains. However for each one, they were divided into numerous pressure zones. In general, each zone was a separate model. And perhaps you will want a separate model to handle the production and transmission mains, pumps, wells and tanks without including the thousand miles of distribution lines. Also, you may want to set a size limit so you are not modeling all the 2 inch lines along with the rest of the distribution system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back