Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Material Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab2010

Aerospace
Mar 21, 2014
US
I feel like this has a really easy solution, but I can't seem to get it figured out. Several months ago I created a new material for a certain alloy of steel that was not included in the NX library. I exported that material to an XML file from that first part. In numerous parts since, I have used that xml file to define my part with that variant of steel. I now need to use a different alloy. Since I have used this XML library numerous times, I assume changing the properties in the XML file will then result in associative changes to all of the parts that use it. So for example instead of each part having material Steel4120, I will have Steel4150.

How do I apply the update? I tried manipulating the values in the XML file directly in an editor, but nothing updated in the NX parts. I discovered an option to Edit Library materials in the "Manage Library Materials" dialog, but it appears my customer Default settings do not allow me to change it there. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Applying a material from the library creates a local copy of the material within the part. Any subsequent changes to the library definition are not reflected in parts that used the material as they use their local definition. To update the properties for each part will require the new material definition to be applied to each part. Local materials can be viewed through Manage Materials.

Mike Hyde
NX8.5 with TC9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back