Upgrade of packaging concept with datalogging and remote data access

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirschaplin

Petroleum
Jul 10, 2021
SE
Hello,

I work for a compressor packager that deliver skids that consist of all kind of process equipment and instruments to industrial clients.

Typically all instruments on our skids are terminated by us to one or several junction boxes located on skid edge where the client is supposed to hook-up their multi-pair cable to our junction box to get our instruments into the plant DCS or ESD system.

This is fairly simpel approach but the problem is that we lose control of the operating data since we can't access the instruments remotely or even locally.

Thus we are looking for a solution to log the data by a logger that is installed on a DIN rail (or similar) in the junction box on the skid and allows access over a remote TCP/IP connection in order for us to access each skid operating data from our office.

Any suggestions for what kind of logger we can use and how to make the installation?

Most of the instruments are pressure, vibration and temperature transmitters. They typically only have one 4-20 mA output. How do we get each instrument signal to both our logger and the client DCS/ESD system?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, I'm just seeing this.

I would expect you to only be able to use a cellular link to do this and it had better not allow any "control" what-so-ever or you're opening your company to enough risk to spontaneously kill it at any time in the future.

How much data are you considering? Occasional snap-shots or are you trying to get continuous monitoring? Huge difference that.

Can you list the data types? Like example numbers you're looking for?

Keith Cress
kcress -

Thanks for your feedback. I believe that continuous monitoring would be preferred with the possibility of viewing at least 1 month of history. Alternatively, occasional snapshots with logging of only alarms and trips might be a way to go.

In average we are talking about 10 to 15 4-20 mA signals. Mostly for temperature, pressure and vibration.

Occasionally we make bigger projects with up to 100 4-20 mA signals.

I came across Siemens SITRANS RD500 that may be something, thoughts?

The RD500 is a private label Red Lion Data Station that can handle any number of industrial protocols (Ethernet/IP, Modbus) and can use additional modular I/O for analogs and discretes. I do not know to what extent the Data Station firmware is modified for Siemens. There is a flash memory card in the Data Station that can log data in .csv format. It also has a web server - a 'soft' HMI, that when programmed can display the data. The redlion HMI's can read data from the flash card and display in trend format, so I assume the Data Station does that as well. The Data Station has a good reputation on PLCS.net as a protocol converter. The trick in your situation is the 'remote TCP/IP' access.

Siemens is now offering their own integration service, MindSphere, for IIoT projects where Siemens does the engineering and supplies a panel with the networking connections to get the data to their cloud site. project cost + monthly cloud fee.

A vendor installed a system in our plant that is controlled by this device--Link
It was installed without my assent and we have no knowledge of how it works but I believe it will do everything you describe.

Brad Waybright

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

As Dan mentions I've put the Red Lion RTUs to good use on moving rail cars. Not seeing the models I've used. I think they updated everything. I got attentive customer support. I did have to converse with Verizon to get a M2M LTE contract that was surprisingly inexpensive.

I am concerned about the amount of data you appear to be wanting. That sounds like way more than rational. You may need to have local intelligence that watches the data and only sends anomalies. Or allows only sending it when specifically requested. Or stores it offline then compresses it and sends 'reports' occasionally. Probably a combination of them all.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Thanks for your feedback, I will check it out carefully. In the meantime can you share some thoughts for how to best duplicate every individual signal since I assume that one signal should go to our customers DCS/PLC I/Os and an identical signal should be sent and captured by the data logger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back