Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to 2006 or wait for the first patch? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I always test out new versions before going company wide install. But this time it will not work because I have to over-write the 2005 file license manager to make 06 work.
Is there a work around to have 06 installed separate on my pc without over-writing the license file? My VAR said it is not possible. I have never had to do this before.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

gunnykiln,

I kept up with the posts here and decided that with the lack of posted problems, and after installing a trial on another computer we decided to go for it. SW06 does seem fairly bug free, and the new features are nice. I have noticed that it crashed about twice as much as the last service pack 2005, so make sure to save often. I have a lot of CTD when detailing, probably due to the rewritten detailing package.

Cheers,

Clem
ME
SW/PDM 06 0.0

"lack of posted problems" No news is not necessarily good news. If you read the posts, you will find that for the most part, either they will wait for SP 1.0, or are testing it. Only a handful jumped in with both feet and are using it for production.

If you want to here about bugs, some other big SW forums are:
and

Flores
SW 2005 SP 4.0

Gildashard,
I know, but I was hoping there was a way to install separately on my pc without over-writing the license manager on the server. Our IT dept will not allow me to do the update right now because other software is running on the same server. They are paranoid.
thanks

Chris
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Another way to find out bugs in '06 is to go to the SPR list for the upcoming '06 service pack. You can see what problems and nuances other users have already found and turned in.

ctopher - if you are running off of a network license, the only way you can upgrade to 2006 is if the license manager is upgraded as well, or if you have a standalone installation license code.

The solidworks 2006 license manager can dole out licenses for 2004 and 2005 as well so there's no problem upgrading there. If an update to 2006 is on the horizon anyway, it would make sense for the IT folks to update the license manager now instead of waiting. You can have 2004, 2005 and 2006 installed on the same machine running off of SNL as long as the license manager is 2006.

engAlright, thanks. We have a new IT director and I don't have the luxury anymore updating the server myself. It has to get scheduled thru him and they seem to never have "the time".

Chris
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

How about just installing a temporary license server on your test pc? FlexLM installing isn't very hard to do, if needed I can show you how...

Stefan Hamminga
Mesken BV
2005 Certified SolidWorks Professional
Mechanical designer/AI student

I would be interested in learning how.
I will be back on SW Monday morning 6:30am PST
thanks Stefan

Chris
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Mmmmmm- Solidworks 2006 is real nice for complex surfacing. Don't know what it is but it rebuilds my top-down assemblies like a beast. Moving splines that I thought would annihilate my model have not seemed to phase it (other than creating some ugly geometry)

Lot of really thoughtful tweaks here and there for creating surfaces. I have to concur that mates seem to give it a hard time. Relations that should not over-define a sketch do so- and frequently.

Overall though- very nice.

First off, do you have the SW2006 license file?

Second, you need the SW2006 install cd's (older flexlm vendor deamons don't work for 2006)

Best would be to start the SW2006 install after you installed the FlexLM service.

I have a meeting in 10 mins, but I'll check back here afterwards. In the mean time, here are the instructions from solidworks:

You would need to use the 'ANY' license (scroll to the bottom of the page, then halve a page up.)

Stefan Hamminga
Mesken BV

gunnykiln,
I would wait to install SW2006. There's been a lot of postings this past week in this forum.

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Sr. Mechanical Designer
macduff's SW page
Inhouse System
Pentium(4)2.80GHz
Ram 1.00 GB
SW2005 Office SP 3.1
Windows 2000 SP4.0
NIVIDA Quadro4 750 XGL

I would definetly install 2006... just not yet on a production machine. Best way to determine if 2006 sp0.0 works for your machine / use is still to test it!
No internet forum can accuratly tell you what works in your situation...

Stefan Hamminga
Mesken BV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back