Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UPS INV OUT TOL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

afzumannu

Electrical
Jul 1, 2011
QA
Dear,
40 KVA Astrid UPS giving Alarm A13 "INV OUT TOL" ( inverter output voltage out of tolerance), Also UPS going to Bypass mode. What can be the possible causes? How we can fix this problem? Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@afzumannu,
RTFM here LINK
It says:
Possible causes:
1) Intervention of the inverter current limitation for excessive load (more than 200%)
2) Inverter failure

@Parchie
Yes this Manual we have already, I just want to know how to fix it? Before anybody face the same trouble?what should we should action to solve this trouble.

Normally the load is supplied through the inverter. When there is something wrong it jumps to the By-pass line to feed the load
provided at that time the two lines are in sync. That means the controller always compares the two sources so that
the UPS can jump at any time. If the by-pass source is varying in magnitude & frequency and goes out of the programmed
tolerance, the UPS cannot ensure the jump. So the UPS goes to the By-pass mode without your intervention and continue to feed
the critical load.
What is the type of your By-pass source?
Is it gen fed or otherwise?
Is there any possibility that the voltage magnitude, phase angle & frequency of the By-pass source line varying and goes out of tolerance?

@Kiribanda,
Bypass and main input source is the same supply. also we disconnected the load already, this UPS is in idle condition without load, just input supply and it gone to bypass mode with the same message A13 "INV OUT TOL", is anyone face the same issue before?

Disconnection of the load or the UPS is in idle condition has no impact on out of tolerance issue. Out of tolerance comes when the two sources are not in "SYNC".
My advice is to contact the manufacturer since it has something to do with the internal electronics.

TOL usually means Thermal Over Load, not "Tolerance". Your load is too much for the inverter.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

@Kiribanda,
UPS both source are same, UPS is just power ON and it goes to Bypass mode with the above message, may be something in Electronics, but how to contact manufacturer because it's old already.

There is no "both source." There is one and only one input source.

As old as it is I would expect that one or more electrolytic or tantalum capacitors have failed.

I agree with 3DDave. The error displayed means there is an overcurrent at the inverter module resulting in the reversion to the bypass mode. Could be a damaged capacitor of a damaged IC.

@3DDave yes there is one input source only, @ Parchie @ JWR01 AC Filter capacitors 3no's 200µF-250VAC opened and checked its value is ok, Actually which capacitor failed? you people Mentioned about capacitors There is DC capacitor also 2000µF and some other filters too, please check the attached parts list.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3491a9f2-f917-49e6-a687-2dd28bc316cf&file=Screenshot_20230127-010638_Chrome.jpg
I am hoping from the Engineers @ Parchie, @ 3DDave,@JWR01 please come forward and reply
Thanx

If you cannot identify a failed capacitor by looking at it you need to send it for repair. That's the lowest level skill and isn't enough to ensure you don't get injured.

Are you on the grid or on an islanded source.
A typical islanded diesel generator will vary from 63 Hz at no load to 60 Hz at full load. (Or from 51.5 Hz to 50 Hz)
I have had small inverters complain about the varying frequency on generators. (But often continued in service with just a warning, not a trip or bypass.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Yes, the AC Filter capacitors in the output filter assembly are a likely culprit if they are old/original. Easy to check with basic tools/knowledge. If the inverter is actually damaged, you would need someone who can work on the unit to diagnose and make the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back