Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upstream flow greater than downstream flow - --- is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

login67

Civil/Environmental
May 30, 2006
US
I have a task of measuring low flows in a stream using a pygmy meter. Although for the most part the result shows flow generally increases as I go downstream, there are some places where an upstream flow is greater than the next one downstream. I am very skeptical about the later finding and would like to know under what circumstance will upstream flow be greater than downstream flow. You help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean flow (cfs) or velocity? (fps)

Unless there are losses or diversions, the total flow (velocity x cross-section) will generally increase as you go downstream. The velocity, however, will depend on the exact stream characteristics at any given point, rather than the upstream/downstream location.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

I mean flow. The pygmy meter computes the average velocity at a cross section and then multiplies the average velocity with the measured cross-sectional area to come up with the flow. Flows for some of the upstream cross sections are higher than those downstream and I am trying to figure out the reason behind this odd trend.

Thanks.

I'm also curious how the pygmy meter determines average velocity, since the velocity profile is going to change throughout the water column. See my response in the Storm/Flood forum for a half dozen possible sources of error.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

The device we are using is called AquaCalc 5000 and it has a USGS pygmy current meter attached to it. For more information about this device and how it works, please go to website below:

Thanks.

Would have helped to know that in the first place...

Anyway, the device still requires manual input for the position and channel width, correct? There's a lot going on in that (black) box, and it seems that you need to take a closer look at exactly what it's doing. Basically, you need to be able to replicate and verify all the calculations it's doing.

BTW: Please avoid posting the same question in two forums. It just gets confusing and wastes other people's time.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Yes the device still requires manual input for position and depth along a transect.

You are right I should not have posted the same question in two forums. What happeded was that I first posted it in the modeling forum and later made the decision to repost it in the storm/flood engineering forum since the question is more in place with this forum. My appologies. Anyway I can take of them off the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back