URGENT: Building smells STRONG FUEL ODOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

thien2002

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2002
US
Fuel Control Workroom Ventilation Building:

We have a writeup is readdressing the issue that they question the adequacy of the ventilation system in this explosion proof room. We have never before had reason to believe it was not functioning as designed, but when the IG visited he smelled JP8 (fuel) odor from the aircrafts.

A work request was submitted to correct some electrical deficiencies and evaluate the ventilation system. The electrical was completed but the ventilation request was not acted on.

Can anyone assists what might be the problem to start troubleshoot on Mechanical side?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Thien2002,

Need more info. Is this a room where people work, in which case you'll have to control to below the personal exposure limit, or are there no people and you have to control below the lower explosive limit?

In either case, you'll have to measure the concentration of the JP8. There are a number of hand-held devices available to do this, and there are fixed monitors that you can use to control.

JP4 is full of aromatics -- remember that our noses can detect very small concentrations.

DRWeig

imok2, thank you so much for your help. I am printing the form and study the request.
DRWeig, thank you so much. I am wondering if you can detail or reference me to "personal exposure limit" and what kind of devices to detect the concentration. Thank you.

Thien2002:

Roger gave good info (thanks, I was away). For hand-held instruments, I'd call Lab Safety Supply. They seem to have a number of different manufacturers' devices in stock.

For fixed monitoring, a sensitive combustibles sensor should do the trick, from MSA, Vulcain, BW Technologies, and a number of others.

Best wishes, let us know how it turns out!

Dave

Roger & Dave,

You 2 this site so helpful and you are so dedicated. If one of you read my notes here, I would like to ask you another question: where can I get any manual/web site/books that show you how to calculate HVAC cooling/heating loads the conventional way (by hand). I want to look for resources to show you step by step to do that. All I have is the Load Express (Trane) and Elite Software, which I don't know how they obtain the data. Thank you.

The Internal Heat Loads and Radiant Gain and so on were covered thoroughly in a number of publications by Carrier and York.

Current building designs have a greater proportion of fresh air, air change by infiltration and humidification / dehumidification load then were considered in the past. This is consequence of updated IAQ standards and to some degree, energy efficiency as well as the utilization of lighter materials, generally. The science basis for the standards is to some degree, subjective: consider the means by which comfort and dilution levels for cigarette smoke were established as per ASHRAE and others.

Sterl,
You have answered the question intelligently and I certainly appreciate that. According to Dr. Jeffrey Spitler, he compared between different methods of calculation, link below shows his analysis:

I have a quick question to ask you, this is what my manager asked me:
If you refer to sheet M303 and see Note 12 it appears that the fresh air intake is from the warehouse area. The intake from the outside to the warehouse is shown sheet M303 see Note 5 and then refer to sheet A303 and see the west elevation.

Cindy,
Will the HVAC system for the offices work in all seasons with the double seal dampers from the warehouse vents? If I understand the airflow you will have to cool the hot air from the warehouse in the summer and bring cold air into the warehouse in the winter to provide fresh air to the office spaces. If this is not the way you want the system to operate please provide me with your comments as a part of your review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back