Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent - Incremental Strains Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

satyasrinivas

Structural
Jan 18, 2008
CA
Hi all,

I am trying to obtain incremental strains from a 3D model I am running in Abaqus. material properties - isotropic hardening elastic-plastic

I can only get the total strains; I really need the magnitudes and orientations of the incremental strains.

Thanks in advance
SS

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Print the total strains at every load increment and then work out the incremental ones you require, perhaps by means of a spreadsheet, or you could do it in using Python in CAE I suppose.

Thanks mrgoldthrope and Gurmeet.

Unfortunately I am new to Abaqus and have never used a python script. Please let me know if you are aware of any online tutorials for python scirpting. I looked for it ; but could not find it.

hi satya.

You can go to to get links to their online tutorial, forum and the like. There's also a section on Python in the Abaqus documentation. I have used Python for my previous job to extract data and a well put-together Python module is really useful when you run a lot of analyses on similar products. That said, the useful python modules that I used were the genius of my senior engineer & not mine :D

If you want to understand python (as used in Abaqus) faster I suggest you open the .rpy file and see the commands that appear everytime you make a change in the GUI. Especially with Viewer. For example, you extract a string of data in Viewer and manipulate it, then you update the .rpy file and see what commands are called by Abaqus to do what you did in the gooey.

hope this helps,
jo

Satya,

Also try ABAQUS scripting user manual and reference manual. Some rudimentary knowledge of Python will be necessary. ABAQUS has also modified the standard Python language by addition of new objects.

Gurmeet

You can create new fields in CAE/Visualization by subtracting existing fields.

See CAE/Visualization->Tools->Create Field Outputs.

Therefore, the field of a strain component increment for a given time increment is the difference between the fields of the total strain components associated with two consecutive frames.

You can write a simple script to automate the process if you need to apply for many increments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back