Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

URGENT NX5 ADVICE. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreskralj

Industrial
May 22, 2007
AR
John: I took your advice i started learning NX 5 instead of starting in NX 4, now i'm doint the C.A.S.T. but I find it heard to understand whats the best way to make this CAST profitable. By this I mean, do i learn the whole thing and then start to draw my own things or do i complete sketch and design modules and that's it?... I guess the question is which is the fastest and best way to learn? cause i find it impossible to retain all of the info...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My problem is that the last 'class' I ever took in NX (it was called Unigraphics back then) was 30 years ago (just last week in fact).

As for advice on where to start, start with sketching and then the basic modeling techinques such as extrude, revolve, etc. Then learn the basic form features, holes, slots, pockets, etc, as well as Blending and chamfering. Also become aquainted with assembly modeling since most company design and manufacture 'products' and not 'parts'. Along that way make sure that learn what you can do with datums as well as points and freeform curves and surfaces. It depends somewhat on what your products are and what role you play in the organization.

Just remember, unless you slam down on the keys really hard, you can't hurt anything by picking an option and seeing what it does or trying out a function that you've never seen or heard of before. There's always Undo if the results were not what you expected.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
UGS NX Product Line
SIEMENS PLM Software
Cypress, CA

Everyone learns differently, but for the case of NX you need to know the fundamentals such as extrude, revolve, sketch (sketcher or curves), booleans, blends, and layers. That way you can build something without getting completely frustrated. Then build upon those skills by either searching the menu's or going through some sections of CAST and practicing.

Have fun and send the questions, we have all been there.

-Dave

At one stage we had more people wanting to learn UG in their own time than we could handle. They would come in after work and learn what they could. Since we couldn't afford much time one on one with these people we had to fall back on a combination of CAST and the documentation. I set up the training user with all the ICONS displayed, setting the trainees a task to simply go through each ICON and find out what it's function was. We made a list Layers, CSYS, Curves, Primitives, Sketches, Feature Ops, and Free form etc... right through to direct modeling, so that there was some sort of appropriate progression. I told them I don't care whether you ever use some functions again, but if you don't know that they are there and available you lack the option to use the tools at your disposal. Nor can you deal with other peoples models as well.

After that we had to come up with some practical examples, usually we'd pick anything we had worked on starting simple and getting harder as they went, so they would start by copying and more or less repeating our models. If you have some good examples of other people's working models then with it's feature tree and a basic understanding of what the functions are then UG can almost teach itself. Maybe to start with do a search of *.prt in the UG installation directories, CAREFULLY take a copy of those parts and try to rebuild some for yourself.

You probably most need training or at least CAST to get through learning sketches. If you're going to do surfacing you definitely need training in how to use the tools but also experienced guidance. Surface building is one of the main areas where knowing how to use the tools isn't nearly enough to avoid creating some really horrible geometry.

Not all the people who trained up were expected to go on to become CAD operators, but most who showed aptitude at problem solving are still in a job today. You get very good CAD operators if you pick self starters.

Perseverance is the key.

Good Luck :)

Hudson

thank you very much guys honestly having you as a backup gives me some ensurance as to throw myself into new UG Tools. If i can be of any help just ask, and by the way I am from Argentina and form part of the best mechanical precision making parts Enterprise in the country. Work for bigshots as P&G and Unilever amongs lots of others. So if need any help or advice feel free to ask, don't forget we are in fact a very cheap country to buy from...lol =) Just offering help in the subject i know the most about...

Best regards Andres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back