Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

USA built pressure vessel to be installed in Canada, reqs? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcrobert

Industrial
Jun 24, 2010
US
Our facility has built pressure vessels for use inside the USA and yes we hold a "U" stamp cert among others.

We are in the process of bidding a pressure vessel job to be installed in Canada.

Are there any additional requirements to be met other than it being built to ASME Section VIII div. 1 and registered with NBIC?

Thank you in advance,
Robert P.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks to all for the information!

We also have some tanks to build to API 650 standard and it is my understanding that no CRN is required for those tanks.

RP

To expand a little on the above posts you do not need to NB register your vessel if it is installed in Canada but it must be Canadian Registered (CRN) The main difference is the National Board only records your vessel number but the Canadian Registration requires you to submit your drawing and design calculations approved by an engineer registered in the province where the vessel is going to be installed for their approval. Technically this must be done before you start to build.

And get your ducks in a row because in the case of the provinces that I have experience with, this is not just a formality - they actually look at the drawings, no, I'd say scrutinize them quite thoroughly.

rmw

Also, make sure your customer approves of your drawing with dimensions, nozzle locations, etc etc BEFORE you apply for CRN.

If you get an approved CRN, and you or your customer decide to change even one nozzle by one nominal pipe size, it must be resubmitted. It usually means paying the Canadian engineer to look at it again, and paying the application fee to the local province again.

Some provinces (and employees thereof) are more difficult to work with than others. Finding a good Canadian engineer (or firm) that you can work with will make the process much smoother.

-TJ Orlowski

I'm not 100% certain but I believe even if a CRN is obtained it also requires a NB registration to ensure that it is inspected and fabricated to the code. I would suggest you contact the pressure equipment regulator for where the vessel is intended and have them provide the requirements in writing. I have heard of clients being badly burned before by requirements which are not spelled out clearly.

All provinces in Canada adhere to CSA standard B51. Para 4.11 of this standard states that Mfrs in the US who mfr and export press vessels to Canada shall hold the appropriate ASME Cert of Authorization, ensure that the vessel is stamped, and registered with the nat board (to paraphrase).

Saskatchewan give the mfr an "out", but that's another story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back