Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Usage life of chills in Iron foundry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadimuthu

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2002
DE
How many times can a chill be re-used in moulds in ferrous foundry practices?
Is there any logic to restricting life of chills to four or five times?
Nadimuthu.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not see any restriction in the number of times chills are used. all that you must ensure is that the chill surface coming in contact with the liquid metal is rust free and free from any other kind of contaminations. A dirty chill will give rise to pinholing problems.

How many chills are you able to recover after a day's shift. Is it being accounted?

Ed, at today's cost of raw materials it is essential that we do not toss them out as far as possible. But quite often due to poor or inadequate housekeeping a large quantity of these gets lost with the waste sand disposal

I know, I have been there. First labor is the issue, then someone actually looks at the costs and goes balistic over consumables.
How much metal goes out in the sand? Even if you caught the chills there is still a huge amount of metalic fines lost. Better screens and magnetic speration will pay for themselves.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

Thank you all for the replies. I infer that we can use chills forever provided they are kept clean and the cost economics of cleaning to using new is viable.
I had posted a thread years ago of serration in chills used in Aluminum industry.
But I do not find serrated chills in the ferrous industry?
Any specific reasons>
I feel that the same can be applied here too as the gas release will be better and we can avoid blows due to chills.
Any suggestions?
Nadi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back