Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use existing Part to use as a cutout on another Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdevill

Computer
Dec 12, 2006
US
Is there a way in Solid Edge to take an existing part and use it to remove material from another part? I can bring in a sketch to add a profile or use as a cutout but I want to be able to just being in a completely modeled part adn use it for the cutting tool to remove material. All that I can see now is that they come in as a protrusion and I just want to change that to a cutout.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am trying to get this to work but I think I am missing a step. I am using a simple block as my main part and I am trying to bring in a smaller cylinder to use as my cutting part. When I bring my small cylinder in as a part copy I am not able to locate and orient the cutting part so that it cuts away how I want it to. It just comes in on the ref planes as it was drawn. How can I move that part I am using to cut to my desired location? If I just drag it into my part file from the feature library it only adds as a protrusion so I know that won't work either.

Cdevill,

What you want to do first is to create an assembly of the two parts in the proper relation of how the two parts will ultimately fit together. Once that is done, edit the part you want to cut in place and then use the interpart copy tool to either copy the necessary faces to complete the cut, or copy the entire part as a construction surface to make the cut.

If the cut is not too complex, you can simply use the standard cutout tool and use "include edges" to copy the needed edges from the cutting part. To do this, edit the part and look under view to make sure you have "hide previous level" turned off so that you can see a ghosted image of the main assembly which will also show the cutting part.

Kyle

SE help said:
Moving and Rotating Part Copies
If you want to move or rotate the part copy, attach the part copy to a coordinate system using the Part Copy Parameters dialog box. You can then move and rotate the part copy by changing the offset values of the coordinate system.

In order to successfully attach the part copy to the coordinate system, you will have to create a coordinate system in the main part file.
In the Part Copy Parameters dialog box, you will then be able to select the coordinate system in the field provided.

Hi,

when on SE V17 or above, you can use Direct Editing (Modify).
Pull down the Modify menu and choose Move Face. Choose 'Body' from
the pulldown and select your part copy. The proceed as directed
by the command (informaton in status bar)

dy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back