Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use Mobiltemp SHC 32 for Plated Contact Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powergage

Electrical
Jun 25, 2003
US
My plant electricians are getting ready to replace the braided connection from our utility generator to our isolated phase bus conductor system (I.e. isophase). The voltage is 20kV.
In the past, we have used No. 2 EJC electrical joint compound at this connection. The isophase OEM rep just told me on the phone that we should NOT use that compound for a silver plated connection. He recommended using Mobiltemp SHC 32 grease. It is not a contact grease; just a synthetic high-temp grease. The product literature doesn't even mention using it for electrical connections.
Does anyone have a history of using this for plated connections? If not, any other suggestions?
Thanks!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Attached is an excerpt from the GE isophase bus vendor manual for our plant. It references GE D50H47 grease for silver plated connections.. I think that is a general purpose grease. If you google that grease you can find a description. I don’t recall if we follow that recommenation. I used to be very familiar with our iso-phase bus maintenance practices, but haven't worked with it for awhile and memory doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be ;-(

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

It was my understanding that in bolted connections such as teh isophase bus, the Mobil 32 or other general purpose grease was present to retard the effects of oxidation by virtue of its barrier properties.

old field guy

Thanks, guys!

oldfieldguy- That's what the isophase OEM stated. It just feels weird to me to use a "mechanical" grease on an electrical connection. I don't think we've ever done that before at the plant, so it's just making me nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back