Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use Node Set to define path in Abaqus/Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dnov

Chemical
Oct 13, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I am analyzing a model in which contact pressure distribution is analyzed along a path of an instance.

Normally, I would be able to define the path using the 'feature edge' method, but this is not working.

Since I am performing a mesh optimization, the path definition constantly changes as the mesh is edited. I was wondering if there was a way I could define a node/element/geometry set in CAE, and then use this set to define the path in the Visualization module.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Cheers,

Dnov

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may have luck defining a node based path from the start and end nodes (which you could define as sets in CAE). You can then create XY data from that path, making sure to check 'include intersections'.

Thank you for your reply Mosgef,

I gave that a try and that will help me out a lot. The only limitation seems to be that the start and end nodes must lie along a straight path in order to collect the appropriate data.

Thanks Again!

Dnov,
You're correct, the intersections will only work in a straight line. However, the number of nodes you'd need to select in order to get the right path depends on how curved it is. Think Nyquist sampling. I haven't done an extensive study, but I'd guess that if you're trying to get the path to follow a curve that is roughly sinusoidal, you'd only need to get nodes at every half wavelength.
To simplify the selection process, you ought to be able to coerce the node numbering such that the nodes you need to capture the curvature are in sequential order.

Mosgef,

That is not a huge issue for me since the path on which data is extracted is straight for the most part, there are a few curved regions but it isn't too inconvienient to individually select those nodes.

I have considered renumbering the nodes but from what I have found the only way to do that is to write the input file, import the orphan mesh, and then renumber.

This would take more time and effort than just selecting the curved path nodes.

Thanks again for your help!

I have run into another problem,

My model now includes thermal deformation and for each set of data I need both the 'true distance along path' as well as the contact pressure.

The node list method will not work for this because in order to properly 'include intersections' the data needs to be extracted from the undeformed shape, which neglects the thermal expansion.

I am now thinking that renumbering the nodes may be the most efficient way to do this, unless anyone has another idea.

Thank you for your help,
Dnov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back