Use of 304ss in Marine environments 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deco0404

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2009
GB
Hi Guys,

I know that there are plenty of threads about this subject, and probably all recommend that 304ss not be used at all. My question is relating to the use of this grade of stainless on doors in an environmentally controlled room within the topside. My own opinion is that this material should not be allowed. However it is difficult to argue against the use in a controlled environment, especially given that the component is not structural, nor is there any pressure rating on it.

Any comments on this, or references would be gratefully received

Regards

Declan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So what happens when the bolts holding the door hinges crack? And the door falls?
Or you don't use a door for a while and the hinge rusts tight?
If it is strictly inside the room then it will work.
But why not use brass to be safe?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Thanks Ed,

that is precisely my own argument. I would go further to say that even being in a controlled environment, we do not know what has happened on the quay sides, or what happens during transportation and / or commissioning! I was hoping that someone would just say no you cant use it at all!

Declan

If this space is always going to be environmentally controlled then why not just use plain steel hardware?
If they say because it will rust, then you have your answer, the environment is only so-so.

Plymouth Tube

I understand, and again I have used this argument. The walls are fabricated from mild steel, but are all corrosion protected....

The reason not to use 304 is the risk of sever pitting if they loose environmental control.
Plain steel would just rust, but the pitting attack on 304 could seriously compromise function and safety.

Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back