Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of Centerlines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dust237

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2009
US
Scenario:
Creating a side view of a plate with holes in it. The holes go straight through the plate. The holes are fully dimensioned in the top view.

Question:
Is it necessary to draw (create) centerlines for the holes in the side view?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No I would not.
I only do it if the side view is a cross section then I will. What communicates the depth of the holes on the print? Do you have THRU on the diameter? If you are trying to dimension to the centers on the side view I would say yes. But once again to be more clear I would have made a cross section.

I personally always apply centerlines in my side views no matter if there sectioned or not. Center lines help to communicate that's it's the center of the dia/hole.

Plus with out thumbing through the standard looking for it. I think its a standard that all dia's/hole shown in a side view should have a center line. I know one of you brilliant people out there will correct me if I'm wrong.

Solid Edge V20

It depends... will the centerlines add clarity to the part definition, or will they only clutter and complicate the view? A side view of a part with a handfull of holes is much different than a side view of a plate with hundreds of holes, yet if you follow the rule that "all" holes are to have a centerline, you will quickly have an unreadable drawing, and those centerlines will prevent clear communication of the part definition.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Just to clarify what i said, i just show what's needed in the side view's when it comes to holes. As ewh said, if you show to much with centerlines you can clutter the drawing.

As stated above, you should always apply a center line if your showing it in your side view, section or not

Solid Edge V20

SDETERS

No I would not.
I only do it if the side view is a cross section then I will. What communicates the depth of the holes on the print? Do you have THRU on the diameter? If you are trying to dimension to the centers on the side view I would say yes. But once again to be more clear I would have made a cross section.

Response:
The depth of the hole is communicated in the Top View, which all are thru holes. Location of the holes are dimensioned also in the Top View. The only dimension I have in the side view is the thickness of the plate.

cadman1964

I personally always apply centerlines in my side views no matter if there sectioned or not. Center lines help to communicate that's it's the center of the dia/hole.

Plus with out thumbing through the standard looking for it. I think its a standard that all dia's/hole shown in a side view should have a center line. I know one of you brilliant people out there will correct me if I'm wrong.

Response:
Do you know where I could find the standard?

Thanks guys or gals. I appreciate you taking the time to help out a fellow engineer. I was really hoping for an definative yes or no, but "clear communication" sounds like an excellent answer, and I agree. Thanks again.

If the top (plan) view fully delineates the holes, I see no need to stick centerlines on a side view. Most CAD systems won't put them in, so it is extra work to do so.
If there is no depth called out on a hole (i.e. blind hole) then the hole is assumed to be a through hole.

The word "THRU" is an unnecessary habit that many of us (me included)have developed in the past and tend to carry over.
There are cases on complicated parts where the word "THRU" is helpful, such as some holes in a pattern being blind and others through, but in the OP's case above I don't see the need.

Most CAD systems won't put them in, so it is extra work to do so
Solid Edge will put them in once you select the automatic center line command.

Maybe it's me, being as middle aged as i am. I just remember my drafting teacher getting on us for not putting center lines in side view's... thouse were the days........

Plus to me, not sure about the other old guys or gales, it just looks weird with out a center line.

Solid Edge V20

I remember now, cadman, that solid edge can be told to do it. Our Pro/E drawings don't do it by default. I guess I was thinking primarily of bolt holes also.
There are cases such as bores in a valve body, or angle drilled holes where you really want to see the centerlines in the side views. Often though, a section is cut to show that stuff.

My drafting teacher was much the same; show those hidden lines and be sure that all circles/cylinders had a centerline. It was also considered an insult to be called a pencil pusher; a good drafter pulled his pencil. I have since come to the conclusion that the lesson being taught was more one of technique than one of a hard and fast rule.
Our CAD system will also automatically add centerlines, but when is is so set, you quickly realize why it makes no sense for all circular features to have a centerline on all but the simplist of parts. For the same reason, we seldom show hidden lines anymore unless it is a relatively simple part. If some are needed for part clarification, we will manually adjust their visibility.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

dust237
I've thumb threw the ASME a little and my old drafting book, didn't see anything saying it's the way.

Kinda like ewh said
I have since come to the conclusion that the lesson being taught was more one of technique than one of a hard and fast rule.

Solid Edge V20

I hate it when My center lines are not associated with the hole. If that hole moves I know for a fact the center lines in the side views if not associated with the hole geometry will not move. This is another reason we do not put these in unless it is a section view. In I-Deas we have the option to associate center lines with two edges of the hole created in the section.

Clarity outweighs the standards. If you have 100's of centerlines and it only makes it more confusing then don't show them unless you are using them in some way. Over the years I have dropped any centerlines that aren't being used, including top down views.

Now you guys are on a different topic from the OP's original topic.
If a view shows a hole, I like to see the centerlines of the hole, and of course they should be associated to the hole. I would agree, however, that if there are no dimensions to the hole in that view, the centerlines are not needed.
In the days of manual drafting, we added centerlines to everything. It was expected of you to do so. If you didn't, you would hear about it--verbally or in red.

To EWH who remembers that you had to be a pencil puller,
absolutely. If you pushed the pencil, you tore a hole in the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back