Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of GFRP end wraps to prevent plate debonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chand31

Civil/Environmental
Jul 18, 2016
CA
Hello,

I am modelling the behavior of square hollow steel columns strengthened with CFRP plates in ANSYS Workbench. The CFRP plates are applied on opposite sides of the column to delay the occurrence of overall buckling. I have attached a picture of the cross section to explain the placement of the CFRP plates. My question is that in the current configuration, my model is failing due to debonding of the composite at the plate ends. In order to prevent the latter failure mode, I was wondering if it is beneficial to add 2 GFRP wraps at the ends of the column? The problem is I fail to visualize how these wraps would help prevent the end debonding. I would really appreciate if anyone with more experience could explain more clearly.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=82ddada8-e288-4657-b44a-3b08baab8070&file=Section.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The end debonding is clear because the interfacial shear stress reaches its maximum at the ends first and the adhesive slides as a result (See picture below).

Frictional_stress_d7ry56.jpg

For the material properties, I am using a cohesive zone model (CZM) to simulate the behavior of the adhesive. I am modelling both interfacial shear and peeling stresses. The values input in ANSYS are shown in the table below.

CZM_properties_kdusnu.jpg

The debonding of the CFRP plates happens well before the peak buckling load is reached and hence, at maximum load level, the strain in the steel column is mostly below yield strain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back