Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of Jet fuel in lieu of diesel fuel 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEJaime

Electrical
Jan 14, 2004
US
Hello,

In another forum, a question was asked that intrigued me. Someone was asking if there was a need to make a generator location a hazardous rated location if Jet Fuel was used as an emergency fuel source for a diesel engine generator set. While I think I know the answer to that the real question that I had was: Will a diesel engine actually run on Jet A fuel? I would think that the jet fuel would burn much hotter and faster than diesel. Would the engine survive this? Indefinately? Diesel is a Class II combustible liquid, Jet is a Class I Flammable liquid.

Will for example, a Cummins QSK60-G6 NR2 turbocharged aftercooled, 16 cylinder engine run on jet fuel? What modifications might be required? What are the performance and emissions implications? Are there engine life effects?

I am just speaking in general terms. I don't expect an exhaustive response. Just an opinion of those with expertise in engine design and engineering.

Thank you and regards,
EEJaime

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From Deere's Operator's Manual for Tier3 4.5L and 6.8L engines:

IMPORTANT: Some information contained within
this manual refers to engines that
are capable of running on aviation
(jet) fuels. These engines are
specifically ordered and outfitted
with special hardened components
and fuel dosing element(s) that make
the engine capable of using these
fuels.
CAUTION: Engines NOT ordered and
outfitted with these special components are
NOT capable of using aviation (jet) fuels. If
you have any questions, please contact your
local servicing dealer.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Deere's Application Guideline 18 has more to say about use of aviation fuels, including this:

PowerTech PSX, PVX, PWX Engines (4.5 L / 6.8 L / 9.0 L / 13.5 L)
(Engines with John Deere supplied Diesel Oxidation Catalyst)
Aviation Fuels
All
Not allowed. Aviation Fuel has sulfur content levels greater than 0.002% (20 ppm) and are not allowed for use with
John Deere engines with Diesel Oxidation Catalyst. This includes fuels such as; Jet A, Jet A-1, Jet B, JP-4, JP-5, JP-
7 and JP-8.

For most other engines, e.g. without catalysts, it's mostly just Not Recommended, for example:

PowerTech Plus Engines (4.5 L / 6.8 L / 9.0 L / 13.5 L)
Aviation Fuels
Jet A Not recommended. Lower viscosity and density than base fuel No. 2-D. Power loss up to 10% can be expected.
Jet A-1 See Jet A comments. Power loss up to 10% can be expected. Jet A-1 may be used as an emergency fuel only, with
the addition of John Deere PREMIUM DIESEL FUEL CONDITIONER™ (or equivalent) at the specified concentration.
Jet B Not Recommended. Lower density and extremely low viscosity compared to base fuel No. 2-D. Power loss up to 14%
can be expected. Jet B may be used as an emergency fuel only, with the addition of John Deere PREMIUM DIESEL
FUEL CONDITIONER™ (or equivalent) at the specified concentration.
JP-4 Not Recommended. See Jet B comments.
JP-5 See Jet A comments. Power loss up to 10% can be expected.
JP-7 See Jet A comments. Power loss up to 10% can be expected.
JP-8 See Jet A comments. Power loss up to 10% can be expected.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Like anything, there is a large gap between what you can get away with for XXX operating hours, and what the system in question has been validated to work with for its specifed life.

EEJaime,

Yes, I believe Jet A is slightly more volatile than No.2 diesel. But I would doubt whether it is enough to present a safety issue with regards to handling or storage. The different hazard classifications between the two are more likely due to the fact that Jet A is typically present around airports and No.2 diesel is not.

And yes, most any current recip piston diesel engine will run on Jet A. But you probably don't want to do it except in an emergency, since it will likely damage the engine if used for long. High pressure diesel injector and pump parts like to have some measure of lubricity in the fuel, which Jet A doesn't really provide. And they are calibrated for operation based on the combustion characteristics produced by No. 2 diesel, which differs from Jet A.

Of course, the lubricity issue may no longer be entirely true, since all No.2 diesel sold in the US is now ultra low sulfur. And it was the sulfur in the fuel that provided the lubricity. So one might assume that all newer fuel systems are designed to run without it.

As for the US military, all stationary and ground vehicle engines, whether turbine or recip piston, must now use JP8.

Here's what Shell has to say about using Jet A in a recip piston engine:

Here's a good aviation fuels reference from Chevron (who does not recommend using their Jet A in a piston engine):

Good luck.
Terry

"And it was the sulfur in the fuel that provided the lubricity. So one might assume that all newer fuel systems are designed to run without it."

More correctly- as pointed out above- that all newer diesel FUELS (on-road grades anyway) are designed to have the same lubricity without sulfur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back