Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Use of Standard Flanges (WNRF/SORF) instead of Girth Flanges for Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger:- 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2020
IN
Good Day..

Refer to the subject we have a requirement for Supply of Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger to Liquid Handling Terminal at Port.

Type of Heat Exchanger is TEMA R - BEU (H) and ASME, Shell Sizes for various exchangers are 10",12" & 14". Design pressure is around 5.3 Kg/cm2 & Design Temperature 65 Deg C. MOC will be SS 304.
We have multiple no.of Heat Exhchangers, if we go Standard WNRF/SORF flanges instead of Girth Flanges, then we will be more competitive on price wise. Is there any restrictions to use WNRF/SORF flanges instead of Girth Flanges. Any code restrictions?.

Your valuable inputs will be appreciated...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good Morning,
Yes you can use ANSI RF or WN flanges on TEMA R units. However, the gasket must be contained per TEMA R. So the gasket must have outer and inner metal reinforcement rings.
image_cc4qvr.png

This is out of TEMA 10th Ed.

If you have any other questions let me know. I design Shell & Tube Heat Exchangers for Enerquip.

For MOC SS304, I suggest you make your own standard flanges with the same thickness and bolt for 10 ", 12" and 14 ". It may be 50% less thick than ASME B16.5
Let your computer run.

Regards

As these are BEU style heat exchangers, you're going to have a pass partition plate in there somewhere.

Take a read of Paragraph UHX-4(b), you may have a hard time using standard B16.5 flanges.

Cheers,

You can still use ANSI flanges on both sides even if there are partitions. Purchasing ANSI flanges is cheaper than designing your own and machining your own flange.

r6155... 50%, no way....considering shop rates for machine time etc.. it evens out around 18-20 NPS flanges.

marty007, You can still use ANSI flanges and add a partition plate per UHX with a ANSI flange.

We do this stuff every day :)

Because there's a pass partition you aren't permitted to simply use the ASME B16.5 pressure/temperature ratings, you would need to run calculations per Appendix 2 of ASME Section VIII. In many cases standard B16.5 flanges fail Appendix 2 calculations.

-Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back