Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Use Starlock or a similar Push-on locking washer on a shaft with a flat side? (D-shaft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

collner

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2012
SE
Would like to ask if anyone has seen shaft lock washers (which do not require processing on the shaft like a groove ring) and which could work on a shaft with a flat side?, like a motor shaft that is.
Looking for one to use on a 5 mm shaft, where the need for locking force axially is small, < 50N.

My first thought was to have custom lock washers made, with one of the "wings" cut so that it would fit against the flat part of the shaft (90 degrees), see the picture attached.
To be used in a customer's "consumer product", guess around 100,000 are consumed per year. Theoretically, we could develop a tool to stamp these and harden them. But it would be better if there were ready-made ones to buy.

Searched a lot for this without finding one. Is there really no one who had the need before? Or could it be that they doesn't lock if they are not completely symmetrical in their engagement?

D-shaft_starlock_awelql.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi!

Thank you, that linked locking washer was interesting, it shows a symmetric layout!

The shaft is not in a motor, I use it in a hand driven mechanism and the lock washer is supposed to hold the pinion in a hypoid gear, in one axial direction (the gear wants to push it outwards).
The customers factory preferred a D-shaft to lock the rotation for some other stuff on that shaft, so I'm kind of stuck with using such shaft, without a groove for a retaining ring.

I'll order some of these for 6 mm shaft and test them to find out what makes them good for D-shafts. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back