Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Used/ refurbished 3d Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hercules28

Materials
Nov 9, 2010
US
Dear all,

I really am not sure where to post this question but I thought to start off here:

Does anybody know where I can find used/ refurbished 3D printers?
I am looking for 3D systems Projet 3000 or 3500 or machines of that caliper.

Thanks,

Herc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mr 28 Try your local 3D sys var. Another place is Ebay,I was looking a few months ago, and those two were my best leads.You could also try trade periodicals, on line and hard copy. I found there is a big price differental when a model is phased out and replaced by a upgrade model. Wish you luck finding what you want.

Make sure you take into account the maintenance cost on a used printer.

At my last company, we had bought a new printer that was being phased out by the next gen. We worked it like a dog & it performed great most the time. But when it went down it wasn’t cheap for replacement of parts. We went on a yearly service plan to save costs and ended up replacing almost ALL the hardware on the thing before I left. The machine was ~6yrs old & our maintenance provider told us they were about to stop providing parts for it because of its age.

Hopefully you won’t run into these issues like I had. But things break, especially in the hot environment that most of these printers run in. So be careful & make sure you can still get parts for whatever machine you choose, new or used.

Mr 28 In the long run, decided I did not have the volume to buy a new machine, and as Mr Flyer sezs, I felt the maintence of a used machine would be the same as buying a new machine on the installment plan. I ended up using my local VAR for the small quanity of rapid prototype parts myself and my customers need. So far it has worked out O.K.. The only thing I miss is the opportunity to learn how to operate a new machine.

Thanks for your replies. Do you mind sharing what models where you using?
yes 6 years in this field seems like a long time.
Any experience with 3D systems or SLA processes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back