Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Used Tires 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kringle

Electrical
Sep 3, 2003
TH
I'm trying to find the newest equipment and technology to handle used tires. I've done a lot of searches on the net to only see people selling old equipment and old technology. Any help would be great. Thanks, Kringle

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My favourite use for tires is as artificial reefs for encouraging biodiversity in coastal areas, and as coastal defenses. Underwater, tires are very stable, leach minimally small amounts of toxins, compared to the amounts that are eroded on the roads and washed off into surface water waste. They are resistant to erosion by wave action and shingle, have a large surface area to volume ratio and offer a range of habitats to both sessile and vagile sea life. This can open up areas of enterprise based on fishing, which otherwise would not exist, in areas with flat underlying bedrock that provided only limited habitats.
In coastal areas prone to erosion, reefs can absorb most of the wave energy which would otherwise exacerbate coastal erosion, and provide tidal lagoons safe for bathing, and other leisure activities and free of dangerous currents and rip-tides. Because they are primarily rubber, the construction could be made collision-safe for marine vessels. Indeed, they could also be used for land reclaimation.
As well as not presenting a visible eyesore, there is also no potential for a long term fire hazard, as occurs in landfill dumps. If there is an unforseen environmental side effect in any area where used, such as undesirable silting, tires may be readily reclaimed, or the structure modified to minimize the problem.
There are many ways to stabilize the reef, e.g steel piles driven into the substratum or cutting tyres so that they can be made to catenate, or chain together, or linking with nylon ties, ropes or chains, or ballasting with shingle, silt or concrete.

Thanks for the info but not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the reclamation side of uses. Shredding and processing machines to recover steel and uses as a fuel additive for electric generation and other types such as padding for playgrounds or making running paths or training mats. again for the help. Kringle

As far as I'm aware several power stations in the UK use old tyres as a fuel source. They are firstly shredded, then blasted into the furnace. The chimney has a centrifuge so that solid particles are removed the remainder passing through a series of filters before venting to the atmosphere.
Hope this information helps.
regards
mgw11

Thanks mgw11 for the info and this same process is used in the US and many other countries around the world as a BTU boost additive for coal and other types of fuel for electrical generators. I guess what or who I would like to hear from is anything about the latest equipment available to process these tires into different applications such as a fuel additive,playground cushioning (shredding),rubber matting,steel reclamation or any other recycleable material.

The following is the web-site who produce rubber crumble and other products from tires. They have taken many types of machines that grind, shred, etc and made them do tirees. Tire processes are difficult because of the steel, fiber and abrasiveness, and above all tearing or cutting them apart. These guys are sucessful and may(????) help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back