Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User input for motor/generator fault detection hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJRoc

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2003
US
I'm trying to design monitoring hardware (embedded system-type design) that can easily be used to detect faults on rotating electrical machinery--motors/generators. I intend to incorporate voltage/current signature analysis, possibly vibration, maybe even electromagnetic field monitoring.

(Assuming this type of discussion is allowed in this forum), what in your opinion would the end user like to see, what would the priorities be, and how much would you spend on it?

I plan to make it possible to retrofit existing hardware by limiting the number of intrusive connections, and embedding the diagnostics application so that the device is stand-alone--small, relatively cheap, and convenient to use.

Any input or discussion is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agreed; temperature measurements (close to bearings, ideally; realistically at least the case; not necessarily a complete temperature profile around the circumference) are part of the plan. Because shorts, bowed rotors, and rubs all result in temperature anomalies, I agree that it should be included. Thanks for pointing that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back