Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user specified view orientation 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

drum4joy

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2004
US
Does anybody know how to orient a 3D model by a user specified orientation, instead of using the standard view orientations. Sometimes when I want to look at the face of a part, (for example, the side of a house), I click on the face, and select "normal to", I stand a 50/50 chance of having the house shown upside down. Is there a way to force the global axis to point in the direction I want? The standard views do not allow this option.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No there isn't, but you could use your arrow keys to turn it the right way. I set my arrow keys to 10 Degrees. When I push it 9 times I have moved it 90 degrees. I do this till I get the view I'm looking for. If I want to save it and come back later I save it in my custom views. You can save a view by pushing the Spacebar and clicking the middle telescope. give it a name and click OK.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

If there are two faces that are perpendicular, you can orient a view by selecting both planar faces and clicking the "normal to" icon. The face that is selected first is the normal face. The second face will be used for a horizontal reference.

[bat]There are two types of people in the world: the kind that believe that people can be categorized into one of two groups and the kind that don't.[bat]

Good tip The Tick

Also check out "IsoViews - All 8 of them faq559-529" in the FAQ section at the top of this page. It can be adapted to rotate a cube to any combination of face orientations.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[lol] If everything is going well, you have obviously overlooked something [lol]

Try using SHIFT+ARROW keys this will turn the model in 90 degree increments.

You can also use ALT+ARROW keys to rotate the model around the screen axis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back