User subroutines 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptiEng

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2009
GB
Hello all,

I am new to using subroutines and would really appreciate some help. I am trying to submit this step in the sequence of input files (with a user subroutine):

"abaqus job=treadwear_wear_straight user=treadwear oldjob=treadwear_roll"

I recieve an error message say:

"Abaqus error: The following file(s) could not be located:treadwear.for, treadwear.obj
Abaqus/Analysis exited with error(s)"

The file I have in the folder is the "treadwear.f" file.

Am I having this problem because I don't have a fortran compiler? If so, where can I get a suitable (freeware if possible) compiler?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think you can do this if you don't have a Fortran compiler, unless you have a c++ compiler and re-write the code.

The only compiler that is recommended by Simulia is the Intel compiler (which is not free). I think somewhere on this site there is someone talking about using a freeware one but I can't remember which it was or how to set it up. It might have been discussed at though.

Assuming you get the compiler to work (intel or otherwise) you need to rename your subroutine "treadwear.for". For some reason I haven't been able to get Abaqus to recognize .f files but they run fine when you change extension to .for .

abaqus 6.9 runs just fine with the .f suffix here.
you can get the free GCC compiler, it also has the fortran compiler embedded. there is also a version for windows, but i am not sure if that'll work with abaqus (in win).

Thanks for your input.

Loki3000 am I right in saying you use UNIX rather than Windows to run abaqus? and is a GCC comiler different to "IFORT" or something like "G95 Fortran"?

Abaqus produce some fantastic manuals, but I feel a little lost with the User Subroutines stuff especially as I don't have much experience with programming or Fortran.

Also, once I have the compiler installed, I am not sure how I get it to interface with Abaqus.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back