Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using 12VDC and a car coil to create an ignitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbrune

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2002
US
I am trying to put together a really simple ignition system for our indirect heaters that are in areas where no electricity is availible. The goal here is to use about a 7Ah 12DVC battery, a coil off a car, a push button and an ignitor rod. The problem I am running into is how to get the 12VDC to oscillate for the coil like an old points distributor does for a car. Anyhow I think that is the problem. I would really like to find a "black box" that does this i.e. wire the 12VDC to it with the push button interrupting the negative leg and from the "black box" continue the 12VDC to the coil. Then again I could be approaching this completely wrong. Any suggestions?

Darren

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure how much voltage you need or the duration, but have you thought about using a typical gas barbeque ignitor? No battery required. Push the spring-loaded button and a spark is produced at the other end.

You may also find what you need at an RV supply store. Many LP gas appliances use either manual or automatic pilot ignitors. The same may be true for most natural gas appliances used in homes.

If you did not want to do what kpuddarby stated and want to pursue the other option, the black box would basically be wired as follows:

Use a switch that has a spring loading, i.e. when you push on the switch, path is closed but when you let off switch, it will return to normal open position.

Take the 12 volt positive terminal and wire to + side of coil, ground terminal should be ran to one side of switch. The other terminal of switch should be ran to - side of coil. Push switch momentarily (may have to hold for a second or two to charge coil) and releasing will fire coil via coil wire.

Hope this helps.
Tom

Sounds like what you need is a coil for an old T-Model Ford, which ran off of the battery (6 volts back then, I guess) and had a built-in set of make-break contacts, like a vibrator, plus (I think) a built-in condenser, that would give you a continuous spark. As I recall, the spark was in the 1000-to-2000-volt range. It has been about 40 years since I fooled around with one, but probably you can still buy brand-new T-Model Ford coils through antique car supply houses.

I am sure that any electronics store (Caddy Shack in the US, I'm in Australia)that sells kits would be able to give you an oscillator to suit your prupose. A good kit to try would be a Jacobs ladder kit, which produces a high voltage arc between two wires in a vertical V, the arc climbs the V getting longer as it climbs. You could have some fun with it before you convert it for your needs.

One solution to make a ocillating blackbox is to use a
NE-555 and build it up as a bistable switch. this unit will tolerate a surge of 1amp at 12Vdc and you only have to get two capasitors and two resistors in addition to the IC.
(If you use a precision potentiometers instead of the resistors you can adjust both hold time and cyclic duration
eg. how long the output is triggered and the total length of the wave)

You may find some info by searching on google.com

Link it up with a relay and use a standard coil.
(dont forget to protect the relay contacts with a capacitor)
(the back surge from a coil can become quite heavy).
the high woltage parts you may use from a car or other existing ignited engine.

If you don't find the info send me a note.
I have a little folder on the NE-555 IC somwhere in my garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back